Monday, November 24, 2008

Rowing Partner

Yesterday I was visiting with two of my cousins. And enviably the conversations comes to dating/marriage. When with two of the three are single, its bound to happen. . . .

My married cousin made the analogy of getting married to rowing a boat across a sea. That sea is unknown prior to the trip as to what the weather and sea will be like. Therefore, are you going to pick a rowing partner that looks pretty as you sit on the shore? Or are you going to look for a rowing partner that is going to help you cross that sea no matter what may happen out there.

This might be my own perception, but I feel like the longer we are in this dating/single life, we more we loose sight of the reality of life and what we really should be looking for in a spouse. I know I do. I feel like Im starting to think of married life as a fairytale, and I just need my knight in shining armor to take me away from this "horrible single life." Ahh. But my fairytale doesnt allow for reality, that married life is hard too. This I have seen and felt through those around me. Illness, heartbreak, sadness are not immuned to the married. Therefore, I need to find someone that can weather those storms of life, along with the good, the happy, and prosperous times.

3 comments:

Jodi and Jesse said...

Beautifully written. You are so smart!

Adventures of Diana said...

I love it! Great analogy!

Crutches said...

So, I should marry someone with a strong back, someone who can row in a straight line, and who knows how to use a compass? That doesn't leave very many girls I've ever met. :)