Thursday, April 21, 2011

Joy in the Journey

This was the theme of one of my EFY years. Maybe I should have learned more about it then!

I have recently been told that I need to learn to realize the joys in the everyday life, whatever that might be. Granted, this discuss came in regards to dating, and about how I hate the game and just want to get through it. So, in light of the reality that that end is still far away, I need to really take stock on what a dear friend kindly reminded me of.

But come on. Not everything is about dating, even though it might seem like that when we are single. Pres Monson said back in 2008 to "not let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do." Ahh. Very wise. And relate-able all stages of life.

I might or might not have the Mormon Bachelor website on my Google Reader! :) They are up to the 3rd contestant. And as I watched her little bio video, she sad something that struck me. Ok maybe a few things. 1) Honoring the Ordinary. Enjoy the little things in life, and relish in it. The day to day things are just as important as the large milestones. 2) Its ok to say that you like to just simply be with people. I remember a few different times that I have been asked what my hobbies are and not really knowing how to answer. I seem to fill up days with stuff that seem productive at the time, but looking back it was just simply spending time with a friend doing what ever that person wanted or needed to do. And that is just find.

The last week or so, I havent been as happy as I might have been in the months prior. And I think its because Im already looking ahead, and not looking at the now. Time to reevaluate and to just enjoy. Stop and smell the flowers. Stop and enjoy relish in my quieter evenings. Stop and spend more time doing the things that make me happy, each and every day. ... Joy in the Journey.


Peonies Image - Peonies Image Library.

Love me some Peonies!

1 comment:

Lana said...

So true. Why wish our lives away? I always find myself saying... "When the school year's over... When this kid is potty trained... When this kid is in school... When this girl can finally babysit for us..." What's the use in that?! It just makes me ungrateful for what's going on right now, and it makes my life go by way too quickly. Good thoughts.