When I was in High School, I participated in a "Mock Trial." Being that it was 10 years ago, I really dont remember much about it. I dont even remember my role in it. I just remember that it took us weeks to go through it and it was really boring. . . .
So when I got my summons for jury duty, I really didnt know what to expect. I had no clue how it all worked. (I even asked my roommates what to wear! I mean, come one. On Law & Order, all the jury members are always in business dress.)
Day 1 - Jury Pool. I got to the jury pool room and checked in. I handed in a survey with basic info like place of residence, place of birth, occupation, and age. I was number 75. I waited in what reminded me of the DMV lobby back in Texas. I waited for about 2 hours before I was lined up with 10 others, and ushered in to a court room. They crammed about 120 people into this court that only sat about 40 people. The Judge introduced the case that she was picking jurors for. All she said was that it was a murder trial. She ran through questions like 1) did we know the defendant, 2) did we know the victim, 3) did we know any of the witnesses, 4) did we have an issue with police. . . There were others, that have totally slipped my mind. The judge then brought each of us to the side of her desk with both of the attorneys. She then asked if I said yes to any of the question, then after saying that I did not, I was asked if I would have a problem listening to witnesses that had a plea bargain. When I answered in the negative, I was told to have a seat. This is when I became known as Jury #15. One might remember the lovely movie of 12 Angry Men, and question why there were more than 12. Well. We had 16 jurors. They have 4 alternates that listen to the old case, and only after closing arguments do they find out that they dont have to make the final decision. (You can probably tell that I was not choose to be an alternate.)
Interesting Note. As a Juror, the only one that is allowed to speak to you are the Court Officers. The Judge will speak to you as a collective and only during open court. You are not allowed to speak to the Attorneys. Not in the elevator. Not in the hallway. Not in the local lunch spot. You are not to talk to your family, co-workers, acquintances about the case.
Day 2 - Field Trip. We took a bus ride to the scene of the crime. The only thing we knew about the case was that a kid was stabbed. We were usher in to the apartment in small groups as it was a small space. The Attorneys gave us instructions to take note of the apartment, to stand in the different doorways and take note of what we could see. The Judge was present to make sure that the law was upheld. The arresting officers were present. There were uniformed officers there also to make sure that no one would speak to us. After a tour of the apartment, we went back to the courthouse. It was interesting to see the passing cars stare at us. We were in a LARGE school bus painted blue and white and accompanied by a cop with flashing lights on both sides.
Opening Arguments. We finally learn the basics of the case, by both the Prosecuting and the Defense Attorneys. Bring on the Trial.
The Case. Roberto lived with his sister Yashira and a friend Jesse. They decided to have friends over and have a party. It started late. Friends were over and drinking starting around 11pm. Not only were partiers drinking Tequilla and beer, they were smoking weed. Jesse wanted a DVD out of Yashiras room. A fellow partier, Eugene, offered to get it. Eugene seemed to feel that he could do it as his cousin/friend was Yashira's Boyfriend and in the room too. After walking in and asking for the, Yashira and Eugene got into a verbal argument. Yashira was upset that she would be disrespected in her house. Roberto, and two friends of Roberto, Jamal and Country came to Robertos aide. A yelling argument turned into a fist fight. And a fist fight turned into a stabbing. Eugene was found bleeding from a 7 in gash. No one claims to see a knife in anyones hand, but the closest people to Eugene when someone yelled 'He's been stabbed' were Country and Roberto. The knife was then washed and hidden in Natick. It was said by witnesses that after being stabbed Eugene said that he was going to 'come back and shoot up the street.' Roberto answered him by saying that he 'would stomp his face' and spit on him. Eugene was taken to the hospital and soon after died.
Day 2-6 - Witnesses. We heard from Police, Detectives, Crime Lab Specialist, and dont forget the other party-goers. Oh the ever so helpful party-goers. I think the most amusing moment of the trial was when one of the witnesses, who was 17 y/o at the time of the incident, said that she was not longer intoxicated from her 15 tequilas and few beers because she smoked some weed! WHAT?? Really??. . .WOW. All of the witnesses for the Prosecution were friends and family of Roberto. The only witness for the Defense was the cousin/friend of the victim. Right there shows how messed up this case was. Oh and that last witness had his own trial the very next day for a separate offense.
Day 7 - Final Witnesses and Closing Arguments. Basically the attorneys just reiterated the same ideas and thoughts that were brought up during witnesses. Then it was Bingo time! They put all our juror numbers and names in a wooden bingo-like contraption. This is how they choose the alternates.
Deliberating. We were then taken back to our room. Given the rules about when/where we are able and not able to talk. And they shut the door on us. We didnt know exactly where to start. . . But needless to say we got under way, and things were very heated. And that was true for much of the deliberating.
Day 8 - Deliberating. I must say that I really had to realize the difference between probable and reasonable doubt. Anything could be probable. But was it a reasonable explanation if it was not him. This was hard for me. I didnt want to see the bad in him. I didnt want think about being a judge in someones life. (Growing up in the church, I really only thought about the judge in your actions as God. Not humans. But then I realized that Im not giving him a sentence for eternity, but just for this life. And Granted that doesnt make it better, but it made it somewhat livable for me.
Day 9 - Deliberating.
Day 10 - Deliberating. . . . We finally came to a conclusion/vote. We convected him of Murder in the 2nd Degree. WOW! He is going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Behind bars. WOW. That is something so beyond my reality. The Judge came up afterwards to Thank us for the time spent and the respect we gave to the situation. She answered questions for us. I was really appreciative that she took the time to speak to us. And then we walked away. Alittle shell shocked, alittle relieved that it was over, and alittle taken aback that we just decided the fate of another person.
So. That was alot of my experience. I did leave some things out. But I think you have a good idea of what I was doing for the last two+ weeks. I will say that I do see the importance of jury duty. I am very appreciative of the experience I have had, granted I wish that it wasnt for a MURDER trial. . . . But I also ask of you that if you do get summoned for Jury Duty, please dont immediately start to think of ways to get out of it. But realize that these people on trial are looking for and hoping for people that will take it serious. Its a civic duty. There are days that I would like to do more for the community. Well, here is definitely a way.
Here is a link to an article in the paper. Its alittle biases. And the defendant looks much scarier than what I saw during the trial.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/11/01/man_arraigned_in_stabbing_death_at_dorchester_party/
2 comments:
Wow! That is seriously so intense! Literally, something from a movie or t.v. show, but definitely 100 times scarier since you are one of the people controlling the fate of this individual. What a powerful, life-changing experience for you. You are a great example of devotion to your civic duty.
That is so cool. I want to be picked for a case. I think it would be so interesting.
Post a Comment