Thursday, September 25, 2008

Courage with Age

So. Another birthday has found me. And Im still not liking this getting older thing. After about 21, I become very found of not having birthdays. Oh wait! They come no matter what I do! Never really liked having parties after about 12. Sept Birthdays are a hard one. Its the beginning of a new school year and lots of new faces. Especially since I have moved to Boston, it seems like all the friends move over the summer, and, therefore, the friend count to celebrate with is less than I would like. And this year seems like it was the worst. Dont get me wrong, my special day was great. Spent it with my family and with a long and dearest friend. But no party with the local friends. Many have left this summer and Im very excited for their new adventures. . . .

Something hit me this time around. I cant be passive about life. Life is to be experienced, and not just lived. I have made a few efforts in that. Not that Im really up to sharing all those stories at the moment. But I do have a few quotes that have been mulling over in my head:

Without courage, wisdom bears no fruit. ~ Baltasar Gracian

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
It's the life in your years." ~Abraham Lincoln

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments,
but what is woven into the lives of others." ~Pericles

2 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

Happy Birthday Lis! I'm so sorry that I wasn't there to celebrate it with you in person like a few years ago at Spruce Street. I totally miss you!!! I love those quotes that you gave- so true to what we should all be trying to do. love you girl!

Amy-Alisa said...

Happy Birthday!!! So late, but so sincere. I love hearing your insights, seeing your maturity, and living through your crazy experiences. September birthdays are indeed tricky. We put Luke's off for almost a month, poor kid.