Last week Val was in Dallas for business. We were texting, and I jokingly suggested that he should go visit my family. And he liked the idea opposed to sitting in his hotel room by himself. I first called my oldest brother, but he didnt answer. So than I called my parents. My mom said that they didnt have any special plans but dinner and, as it was Monday night, FHE, and he was more than welcome to join. Not exactly sure if I should pass along the invitation, as he doesnt ever want to attend Church or "churchy" events with me, I was VERY hesitant to send to an FHE with the family. My mom can be alittle forward when it comes to non-members, and I just wasnt sure what to think as I would be there. . . But I passed along the invite to Val, and he seemed anxious to go. They had Spaghetti, watched the Testaments, and played Chinese Checkers. Val claims to have had a great time with my family, and my family seemed to have enjoyed having him there. . .
Then Tuesday night he went to Dinner with MaryAnn Condie. I dont believe that they meet before, but was sure. . . They went to my favorite restaurant, and Val got my favorite dish. They both expressed that they enjoyed the evening. . .
I was totally weirded out for days. . . and really still am in some ways. My worlds were colliding, as Val puts it, and I had no real control. My Rhode-Island-Friend-world was colliding with my Texas-Family-World, and my Home-Town-World, and also with my Church-Friend-World. I wasnt there to make sure my most embarrassing stories werent shared, or that my families embarrassing traits shined, or anything. I felt so vulnerable being thousands of miles away from all of this, and it doesnt seem like it even phased him. I expressed these feelings with him, and he totally shrugged it off. This idea of colliding world was so huge to him when I first meet him, that it took almost 3 years for me to meet anyone in his family, and they lived in the same city. . . I dont appreciate it when the same respect/understanding isnt given.
I think that it was good for him to be able to see the church through other people. I feel like I have really shared the most I can with him, and now its up to him. . . . Only time wil tell on these things.
No comments:
Post a Comment