Warning. Politics and Religion are not usually topics that I share through this venue. But I feel the need to share. . . .
In the wake of controversy here in New York City over a Mosque near Ground Zero, I am thankful for a country that allows for religious freedom. Being that I am Mormon and our history is packed with countless stories of being treated horribly for having beliefs different to those of the communities we lived in, my heart goes out to those Muslims that are looking for more space so that they may practice their religion.
Yes, yes. The events of 9/11 are pinned back to members of the Islamic world. But it was a small portion of the Islam world that have these radical beliefs. And in comparison, there are plenty of things that the general public pins on Mormonism, that is not the whole or even a part of the Mormon faith. It is frustrating and sad that people dont find out the truth but rather just listen to (non researched and bias) voices around them. I had the chance to study the Islamic faith earlier this year, and found many commonalities with my own faith.
My heart goes out to all those that experience hatred and fear due to where they live and the faith they practice.
Im grateful for those that came before me and made it possible that I may go 60 blocks north to attend church every Sunday, that I may attend a Temple not only in Manhattan, but all around the United States and even the world, and that I may outwardly share my religion with those around me. Thank you.
No comments:
Post a Comment