Monday, January 8, 2007

8 days into the new year and Im still feeling good about it.

I made some "New Years Resolutions," although I dont really looked at them like resolutions. More so, as ways to become a better Me. And Im still following through with them. That is something that totally amazes me. Im a creature of habit. And the trick is really making good actions a habit. Another reason not to call them "New Years Resolutions" is the because I dont think that change, atleast for me, happens all of a sudden. The calendar changes to a new year, and you are magivally supposed to become someone else. . . Ehh, that doesnt work with me. Instead I started small, and before I really thought about it.

One 'resolution' that I have wanted to do was to really read and study my scriptures. For me that has to start with the simple habit of reading. Once we moved into a two bed apartment with an actual real kitchen, I bought a table. And now every morning I have a place to eat breakfast and to read. Its been great. I was reading in D&C for awhile. But I want to study the New Testiment more. Study about Christ Ministry, and more of his life and teachings. . . . Random note. I decided to buy a new Bible online. I went through Desesert Books. I spent $8 for the bible, and $9 for the shipping. I find that wrong. Im not sure why, but I just think it is. . .


While I was in the airport on Christmas Day flying back to Boston from Dallas, I picked up the book Freedom Writers Diary. I immediately became hooked on it. It is about a teacher that began teaching in the 'hood of Long Beach. She wasnt your typical teach, but one that really cared and wanted to make a difference. The movie came out on Friday, and so I went and saw it with a friend. I loved it. I was alittle sad that it didnt fully show the greatness that this class had become, but it did show how one person was able to give kids the hope that they needed in themselves. I was amused by the reaction of my friend to the crowd that we were watching with. I was prepared for the noise, outbursts of "Nah-ah, No he did not"s and the "oh, I cant believe that"s, and the "$%#@&." I was amused by it all. It even got loud enough for an employee to come in and try and keep the peace. . . . I walked away knowing that we are only limited by the limits we place on ourselves. We need to rise above the problems that face us, and become the best we can be.

No comments: