I just got back from San Francisco. In Jan, Jetblue was having a sale on tickets to San Fran. I figured that my cousin, Peter, will not be there forever, as he in only in school for 2 years. And I have always wanted to see the city. . . (Pictures will be added once my computer is around a wireless connection.)
Wed, May 16 - Late flight, and due to weather on the east coast, my flight was an hour late. Although Peter checked the flight status before leaving to go home, he mistakenly read that time that it would arrive wrong, and sat waiting for me for that hour. He continuously leaves annoying messages on my phone relating to this being my fault. . . At least he ponies up to the fact that although the comp said one hour, he didnt read it right. . .
Thur, May 17 - Peter had to go and talk to an apartment lady in the morning and so I was supposed to go to the SFMOMA (Museum of Modern Art). He dropped me off in Union Square as I had an hour to wait, before it opened. . . While I wandered around, I seemed to find a Nostrums, and not just any old Nostrum. But the most Grande Nostrums that I have yet to see. . . So I got lost for about 3 hours, and then started to wander over to the museum. I found a cute little park, and decided to enjoy the sun, in which time Pete was done, and on his way to get me. Oops, never made it to the SFMOMA.
In the afternoon we made our way over to Fishermans Wharf, and Pier 39 while passing Lombard Street. Its considering the crookedest street. There are some Sea Lions that have claimed about 3 docks on Pier 39, and they were surprising addictive to watch. Acting much like children not let each other up on the docks and what not. . . We wandered around and found a fruit stand. I bought the most amazing cherries and strawberries and chocolate. They were so good! We headed over to Ghiradelli Square. Humm. Not all its cracked up to be. Lots of Chocolate to buy, and "Old Lady" stores.
(Yes, My cousin is one of the few that has a true Midgley Trait - Hair Loss! At least he has a sense of humor about it.)
We meet up with Jenny Shafer (a Boston friend that recently relocated to San Francisco) and went to dinner in Sausilito. It's a city north of San Francisco on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Its a great, little Mediterranean-like city. It reminded me of Portofino, Italy. We had dinner, talked, or rather Peter told stories. It was an enjoyable evening.
We meet up with Jenny Shafer (a Boston friend that recently relocated to San Francisco) and went to dinner in Sausilito. It's a city north of San Francisco on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Its a great, little Mediterranean-like city. It reminded me of Portofino, Italy. We had dinner, talked, or rather Peter told stories. It was an enjoyable evening.
Fri, May 18 -
Peter and I made our way to the "Painted Ladies" and Alamo Square. Even though in person, It doesnt really look like the "Fullhouse" houses, everyone claims they are. Its a beautiful little park with a Rose Garden, playground, fountains, and rolling hills. Then we made our way to Coit Tower which would give a better view of the city if they trimmed the trees alittle.
Peter and I made our way to the "Painted Ladies" and Alamo Square. Even though in person, It doesnt really look like the "Fullhouse" houses, everyone claims they are. Its a beautiful little park with a Rose Garden, playground, fountains, and rolling hills. Then we made our way to Coit Tower which would give a better view of the city if they trimmed the trees alittle.
We meet Jenny for lunch in the Financial District. And then headed off for Alcatrez tour. Peter wanted to drop the car off at home as there is only two hour parking. I walked down to the dock, and he barely made it in time. While on the boat ride over, I found the love of my life! Granted he looked about 20, and was with a girl and a guy. As I love to speculate about people and there life stories, Peter and I continued to speculate on their age, and relationship, etc. Once you get off the boat there is a beginning info talk by a park ranger, and then you are able to go and see a movie that the Discovery Channel did on the island. It just happened to be that my new love decided to also watch the tour. There was about 10 minutes before it started, and Peter claimed that he was going to talk to him. B
ut came and found me within minutes of this detour. . . . The tour is an audio tour at which you can do at your own pace. It just happened that my love was at the same pace for most of the tour, but I ended up slowing down as Peter kept turning his off to examine things closer. Sadly, my love was lost, and never to be seen again. While on the boat, Peter told me that he indeed talked to him, and that his name was Hal, and he was a student at Berkley and his sister was in town. . . And then "Hal" appeared as they were letting the last few passengers onto our boat. Somehow, I just didnt believe him, as it took him hours to tell me that he talked to him.
Peter had a Art show to attend. It was a shoeing for the graduating Master Students at his school, San Francisco Art Institute. As he will be on display next year, He was anxious to see what it was like. As I am not quite educated in the way of Modern Art, I was amused by the show and the theatrics of all the people. Peter enjoyed it immensely, even though he feels like he has a lot of work in order to get on that level. I think he will be fine. You are always your biggest critic.
After all day in the sun, we went home for a quiet night watching a movie at Petes apartment.
Sat, May 19 - We headed off to Muir Woods to view the Redwoods. This is not the "real Redwood forest," but it was still amaz
ing to see. These trees are HUGE, and this National Forest is within minutes of the city. We then took a drive along the coast and over to a beach, the name is fleeting me at the moment, but its where there are Shark sightings. It looked rather cold, and therefore, I stayed away from the water. Peter on the other hand, put his feet in, and had to deal with frost bit for the rest of my visit. Ok, so it wasnt that bad, but I still wouldnt join him.
In the afternoon he headed over to Oakland, and first visited the Temple grounds. Its a beautiful, huge temple. There is a trickling stream/waterfall that falls down the front lawn, and is beautifully landscaped, like a Temple should be! We still had time before the game, so we got directions to Jamba Juice. They werent the greatest directions, and even Mio (GPS) couldnt help us find it, so we resolved to Wendys for a frost and a cheap bite before Million dollar hot dogs. It was absolutely amazing that we both looked up at the same moment while walking into Wendys and saw Jamba Juice on the other side of the street. I immediately through up my arms in the same moment that Peter pushed me into the driveway in excitement for finding it. . . This wasnt the first or the last time that we would see something at the exact same moment. Its funny how we can think very similar at the exact same time.
After a refreshing Jamba, We headed over to the game. It was game 2 of A's vs Giants at McAfee Stadium (Oakland.) It was really weird to be at a baseball game in such a HUGE stadium. In the last three y
ears, I have only been to Red Sox games at Fenway. I bought the tickets FOREVER ago, and they were really good seats. I was impressed. I love baseball games! I did have a mishap with Nacho Cheese sauce. Some how I managed to get it all over me, and the lady that was half sitting in my seat. I felt really bad, and Peter wouldnt let me tell her. I was alittle nervous when she went to get something to eat, and took forever. I was afraid that she would find out about the mishap, and do something to me. (My large-people-phobia was kicking in.) But she came back and quietly sat eating her smelly Garlic Fries. Peter is a Giants fan, and got me to buy a shirt, but I wore my Red Sox hat! It was a fun game, and there were alot of Giants fans.
I stayed the night with Jenny as Peter is the new Executive Secretary for his ward and has to go early.
Sun, May 20 - We woke up just in time to get ready and get there. . . But were still late as we ran into traffic because of a huge race in town. Its called Bay to Breakers, and is more of a costume party than a foot race. Rather amusing seeing everyone dressed up.
Church was good. I didnt see to many boys that I was particularly interested in, and no one really talked to me. Not as friendly as I was told it was. But whatever. After church Peter was still doing church stuff, so Jenny and I headed for some Window shopping on Union Street. It had some random fun shops.
Once Pete was done, we went over to his place and had dinner. More Stories were shared. Really, Pete could right a book of all the stupid things he has done, and it would sell. He is the best story teller ever. No lies. You would be on the ground laughing too. Jenny left, and a friend of Petes stopped by. She claimed to have to meet the "favorite cousin." She doesnt realize that there arent to many options for favorite, and therefore simply because I laugh at him, Im the favorite!
Mon, May 21 - We went to the Golden Gate Park, and visited the Botanical Gardens and the Japanese Tea Garden. It was beautiful and peaceful. Eventhough Peter was wishy-washy, We headed over to Haight Ashbury to find a shop to make t-shirts. (There is a particular reason for them, but I dont feel like I have the liberty to share.) But once we got in there, Pete wouldnt let me do it. Arrgghh. Ill just have to make one online and send it to him. I have heard people rave about shopping on "The Haight," but have to admit that it was just alright. Maybe if I was with someone that enjoyed it more than I, it would have been fun. We randomly found Buena Vista Park which has some great views of the city.
Went home for lunch, and then headed to Chinatown. There were definite moments that I felt like I transported to China. But over all. Its a great place to find some really CHEAP stuff. We went back to Pier 39 for some more fruit! So good! The strawberries were as big as my hand. Well, almost! They were HUGE!
I packed while we waited for Peters friend to show up for dinner. This friend was actually an Ex-Girlfriend of Petes. But it was obviously that she is still interested in him. Whether is just that wonder if things might work out, or if there is more. . . He claims that they are just friends now. . . Why are boys so oblivious sometimes. . . I finished packing, and then we headed to the airport.
Peter had a Art show to attend. It was a shoeing for the graduating Master Students at his school, San Francisco Art Institute. As he will be on display next year, He was anxious to see what it was like. As I am not quite educated in the way of Modern Art, I was amused by the show and the theatrics of all the people. Peter enjoyed it immensely, even though he feels like he has a lot of work in order to get on that level. I think he will be fine. You are always your biggest critic.
After all day in the sun, we went home for a quiet night watching a movie at Petes apartment.
Sat, May 19 - We headed off to Muir Woods to view the Redwoods. This is not the "real Redwood forest," but it was still amaz
In the afternoon he headed over to Oakland, and first visited the Temple grounds. Its a beautiful, huge temple. There is a trickling stream/waterfall that falls down the front lawn, and is beautifully landscaped, like a Temple should be! We still had time before the game, so we got directions to Jamba Juice. They werent the greatest directions, and even Mio (GPS) couldnt help us find it, so we resolved to Wendys for a frost and a cheap bite before Million dollar hot dogs. It was absolutely amazing that we both looked up at the same moment while walking into Wendys and saw Jamba Juice on the other side of the street. I immediately through up my arms in the same moment that Peter pushed me into the driveway in excitement for finding it. . . This wasnt the first or the last time that we would see something at the exact same moment. Its funny how we can think very similar at the exact same time.
After a refreshing Jamba, We headed over to the game. It was game 2 of A's vs Giants at McAfee Stadium (Oakland.) It was really weird to be at a baseball game in such a HUGE stadium. In the last three y
I stayed the night with Jenny as Peter is the new Executive Secretary for his ward and has to go early.
Sun, May 20 - We woke up just in time to get ready and get there. . . But were still late as we ran into traffic because of a huge race in town. Its called Bay to Breakers, and is more of a costume party than a foot race. Rather amusing seeing everyone dressed up.
Church was good. I didnt see to many boys that I was particularly interested in, and no one really talked to me. Not as friendly as I was told it was. But whatever. After church Peter was still doing church stuff, so Jenny and I headed for some Window shopping on Union Street. It had some random fun shops.
Once Pete was done, we went over to his place and had dinner. More Stories were shared. Really, Pete could right a book of all the stupid things he has done, and it would sell. He is the best story teller ever. No lies. You would be on the ground laughing too. Jenny left, and a friend of Petes stopped by. She claimed to have to meet the "favorite cousin." She doesnt realize that there arent to many options for favorite, and therefore simply because I laugh at him, Im the favorite!
Mon, May 21 - We went to the Golden Gate Park, and visited the Botanical Gardens and the Japanese Tea Garden. It was beautiful and peaceful. Eventhough Peter was wishy-washy, We headed over to Haight Ashbury to find a shop to make t-shirts. (There is a particular reason for them, but I dont feel like I have the liberty to share.) But once we got in there, Pete wouldnt let me do it. Arrgghh. Ill just have to make one online and send it to him. I have heard people rave about shopping on "The Haight," but have to admit that it was just alright. Maybe if I was with someone that enjoyed it more than I, it would have been fun. We randomly found Buena Vista Park which has some great views of the city.
Went home for lunch, and then headed to Chinatown. There were definite moments that I felt like I transported to China. But over all. Its a great place to find some really CHEAP stuff. We went back to Pier 39 for some more fruit! So good! The strawberries were as big as my hand. Well, almost! They were HUGE!
I packed while we waited for Peters friend to show up for dinner. This friend was actually an Ex-Girlfriend of Petes. But it was obviously that she is still interested in him. Whether is just that wonder if things might work out, or if there is more. . . He claims that they are just friends now. . . Why are boys so oblivious sometimes. . . I finished packing, and then we headed to the airport.
Overall: Im glad that I went. I dont think that San Francisco is a beautiful city (like Boston), but it does have some great things visually. There is alot to do in and around the city. It was great to spend time with Peter. I had not seen him since Hawaii in Oct '05. There is never a dull moment with him around and we get along great.
1 comment:
These pics make me so excited for my trip to SF! Thanks for posting them!!
Post a Comment