Let me first say that 1) I am an Urbanite. I love living in the city. To be able to walk out my door and enjoy all that the city has to offer, I am in my element. But I also know that there is a time and place for it all. And one day, I will want to officially hand in my walking shoes. 2) The only other city that I have lived downtown in has been Boston. And I loved it. So I really try not to make the comparison as they are different, but I do have to catch myself from comparing.
Here are some thoughts/observations from the last few days:
- There is a very thin line between public and private here in New York City. I feel like I walk passed many conversations, whether it be between people or someone speaking on the phone, that I really dont want know what the context is for the portion that I hear. Also, Common courtesy is not regarded very highly. Whether its just opening doors for people, or walking conscientiously so that you dont continue to cut others off on the side walk. . . . I think that some people feel like once they walk out of a store, office, than they are in a private setting. Its different than living in a suburban atmosphere where people might wait until they are in their car before letting down their guard.
- New York smells in the summer. Uughh. Whether its because of all the blasted people that have a dog in the city, which then uses the sidewalks as their restroom, or if its the trash that piles up on the side before the trucks come around, or if its just the amount of people getting all hot and sweaty. Simply. It smells. Makes me miss winter, just alittle.
- I now live in the most populous city in the world. AHH. There are ALWAYS people around. I now understand why its such a big deal to leave the city. And Im so glad that I have a constant excuse to get out. Family. And I love that they live, will live, there there is NO ONE.
- Saturday morning is the best day to watch a movie in NYC. Its $6 before noon. Hello. Why not go?! Its become a little bit of a tradition to hit up Kips Bay on 30th-ish and 2nd, and snag a slice of pizza on the way home (from any one of the many $2.50 a slice places) and to sit and eat it outside before making it home. Love it.
- There was a visitor at church on Sunday. Small Mormon world as she is friends with a dear Boston friend. Because of a comment she said, Ive been remembering to look up more. And quite frankly, the buildings in NYC are fabulous but more so at the top then at the bottom. I love the history, and the charm that abounds. I went on a walking tour with a new friend today, and we found some amazing buildings in my 'hood, Gramercy Park. Come visit, and Ill show you! ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment